I am gluten intolerant.
But wait, it gets worse. My lovely little Mable, whom I exclusively nurse, is allergic to milk. So yes. I am also not consuming dairy. I’m hungry 90% of the time and the other 10% is spent eating fake chocolate. I’ve had this hankering for some pulled pork for a while now and since it’s difficult to find (decent) gluten free BBQ, I thought it would be fun to get a big a** pork butt and have some fun with my trusty crock pot.
We have a friend named Richard who I would consider a meat hobbyist. This is not a real thing. I just made it up. But he smokes a mean brisket. As I was making a game plan for my 9 lb monstrosity of pork, I remembered an amazing coffee rub that Rich used on some ribs. I ate so many I got a meat headache (which is very impressive because I can put away barbecue like nobody’s business). So in honor of those ribs, I decided to do a coffee rub.
Here’s what I came up with:
First, I recommend brining your pork shoulder overnight. I won’t get into the specifics of it but if you want to know the science behind brining, proper method, recipes, sweet camera angles, and the complete history of things like salt, Google Alton Brown.
Now for the rub:
I started with 6 Tablespoons of finely ground MOUNTAINEER COFFEE. Because duh.
Next, 2 Tbs each:
1 Tbs each:
Then, 3 Tbs salt and 4 Tbs Brown Sugar
Stir all ingredients together and then sniff it because it looks like a gift from heaven.
Then plop it in your slow cooker with a cup of chicken broth for an extra moist final product. Cooking time depends on the weight of your pork shoulder, low and slow is best!
Shred it up and throw it back in its own juices.
You’re done. I’m hungry. Let’s eat.